There is a growing focus on the importance of building sustainable, high-quality virtual programs. This case study examines outcomes of Instructional Coaching (formerly mentoring), Edmentum's virtual teacher training program. Launched to help districts build instructional capacity for their virtual academics, the program is designed around five key components of effective virtual teaching practice.
- 1:1 mentorship and instructional coaching from nationally-recognized virtual instructors
- Membership in a national professional learning community, organized around facilitated monthly workshops
- Small-group cohorts based on shared instructional skill sets and overlapping interests
- Technical training, digital learning resources, and personalized support for implementing new learning technologies
- Certification to recognize and distinguish effective virtual teaching practices
This paper is an opportunity to present findings and insights about virtual learning during an unprecedented school year. While unfinished learning mounted for many students across the country, students enrolled with teachers supported by Edmentum mentors achieved high levels of academic success.