FEV Tutor + Edmentum: 14 Frequently Asked Questions About Online Tutoring
Did you know that Edmentum offers one-to-one online tutoring powered by FEV Tutor? This partnership enables districts to promote equity so that ALL students can experience success through just-in-time targeted support.
We’re guessing you have some questions about what online tutoring through FEV Tutor actually entails and how it benefits students working in Edmentum programs. Read on for answers to some of the most common questions we hear.
1. Has virtual tutoring been successful in helping students?
Tutoring has been proven to be one of the most transformative and impactful educational interventions for K–12 students. A meta-analysis of several randomized studies on tutoring, researchers found that its impact translates to a student advancing from the 50th percentile to nearly the 66th percentile!
FEV Tutor has conducted third-party research that validates the program as a level 2 ESSA evidence-based intervention. This commitment to ongoing research and the compilation of evidence allows FEV Tutor to continually improve the product and experience for education partners and students.
2. Who is FEV Tutor?
FEV Tutor is the leader in K–12 online tutoring, providing research and evidence-based, live, one-to-one instruction to accelerate learning outcomes and effect positive change in education. Currently, FEV Tutor serves over five million schools and partners with 400-plus districts nationwide. The virtual tutoring model is research and evidence based, with a proven track record of accelerating learning outcomes that matter for schools, districts, and students.
3. What is live one-to-one virtual tutoring?
Virtual tutoring through FEV Tutor allows students to receive live, one-to-one instructional support from a highly qualified tutor to help them with their coursework, homework, and other targeted instruction. Tutoring is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through either prescheduled sessions with their preferred tutor or on demand. This is done through a web-based platform that features a virtual whiteboard for live synchronous instruction and real-time collaboration between students and tutors.
4. What kinds of students and instructional challenges can FEV Tutor support?
Virtual tutoring sessions from FEV Tutor can support students with a variety of needs, using such techniques as:
- Targeted skill building to address specific gaps and foundational concepts
- Homework help and coursework support for on-demand help connected to Edmentum content
- High-stakes assessment preparation for state tests and college entrance exams
- Credit recovery support to provide real-time assistance and build academic confidence
5. Is virtual tutoring integrated with Edmentum products?
Yes, the FEV Tutor platform is integrated with Edmentum’s EdOptions Academy, Courseware, and Calvert Learning. FEV Tutor instructors have access to Edmentum content, including courses and assignments, to seamlessly extend the learning experience and augment the role of the core classroom or virtual teacher of record.
6. What other ways can one-to-one tutoring augment Edmentum program use?
Even without a direct program integration, consider how assessments for learning from Edmentum can be used as your pre- and post-tutoring program efficacy measure. Take the example of using Exact Path. Our diagnostic-driven, individualized program includes a diagnostic assessment that can be used to pinpoint individual student needs at the beginning of the school year. For those students struggling, FEV Tutor might be a perfect fit to supplement support. Follow up with another assessment administration as the semester comes to a close to see how much growth students have made, which also adds an important accountability measure to your tutoring program.
7. What grades and subjects are supported?
FEV Tutor virtual tutoring sessions currently support students in grades 2–12 in the core subject areas of math, English language arts/reading, science, and social studies. This also includes support for SAT, ACT, and GED assessments, as well as Advanced Placement preparation courses and exams.
8. When is virtual tutoring available?
FEV Tutor sessions are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and can be carried out before, during, or after school, including nights and weekends. Tutors are available around the clock, but the majority of tutoring takes place sometime between 7 AM and 11 PM in any given time zone. Virtual tutoring sessions can be prescheduled so that students can meet with their preferred tutor or initiated on demand (with students being matched with a tutor qualified in the appropriate subject within one minute).
9. Who are the tutors/instructors?
FEV Tutor hires only the best of the best within the online tutor team. Here’s what you can expect from the FEV Tutor online tutors you and your students work with:
- Appropriate academic qualifications: All tutors hold, at minimum, a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Subject-matter expertise: Tutors only provide instruction in subjects aligned to their degree and area of expertise, and they must pass a series of two to three subject-matter tests.
- Prior experience as instructors: Every online tutor has at least two years of previous experience either as a classroom teacher or tutor.
- Clean background checks: FEV Tutor requires FBI fingerprints and clear background checks on file for every online tutor.
10. How does FEV Tutor ensure the safety, security, and privacy of students and their personal information?
Student safety is FEV Tutor’s top concern. A full background check is run on each tutor, and FBI fingerprints and background checks are kept on file. Plus, all virtual tutoring sessions are recorded and regularly monitored for quality assurance.
11. What devices are supported?
The FEV Tutor virtual tutoring platform is device agnostic; however, a tablet-sized device or larger is recommended for an optimized experience. The platform is web-based and operates on devices including (but not limited to): Chromebooks, PC laptops, MacBook/Mac computers, desktops, iPad and Android tablets, and other computers and tablets that have Internet connectivity.
12. How many students can be supported at one time?
The FEV Tutor platform was designed to provide every and any student with a live, one-to-one virtual tutoring experience, and technology is leveraged so that there are no limitations on scaling the number of students who can access the platform simultaneously. The goal is to utilize innovative technology to support and accelerate learning outcomes for all students.
13. Are progress monitoring and tracking included?
Similar to any instructional software program for schools and districts, FEV Tutor services include a robust reporting and progress-monitoring component. All key stakeholders, including students, school/district educators, and families, have 24/7 access to reporting that offers insight into student academic progress. In addition, the FEV Tutor team sends out confidential weekly progress reports to keep a close eye on the usage and student engagement/success of the program.
14. What kind of customer support is available for the product?
FEV Tutor’s integrated virtual tutoring platform offers a unique combination of standard Edmentum product support, combined with FEV Tutor's Academic Success Coaches and Family & Student Engagement Team, to ensure that students, educators, and families are fully supported and set up for success.